Dis/Mantle, the immersive reimagining of the historic Spadina Museum, has been shortlisted for the International Exhibition of the Year by the Museums + Heritage Awards. We would like to extend our congratulations to lead artist Gordon Shadrach, and the incredible staff at the Toronto History Museum and the curatorial team for the City of Toronto Awakenings program.
Since 2003, the Museums + Heritage Awards has been rewarding the very best in museum and heritage practice across the globe. The winners will be announced on May 10, and the shortlist in the category are as follows:
- Swiss Alpine Museum Let’s Talk about Mountains. A filmic approach to Noth Korea
- Toronto History Museums Dis/Mantle: Welcome to Mrs Pipkin’s Manor
- National Council of Science Museums (India), Guangdong Science Center (China), Science Museum Group Injecting Hope
- Vardemuseerne FLUGT - Refugee Museum of Denmark
- Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum National Air and Space Museum West End Renovation
The Dis/Mantle exhibit reimagines the Spadina Museum using an Afrofuturism narrative and includes the work of Black artists using a range of mediums. Visit Dis/Mantle by joining a free guided tour: Toronto.ca/DisMantle
Dis/Mantle has been extended to run until May 31, 2023.